Letting go of the past, living in the present may be one of the most difficult things we do. We all have a story, and that story is our past. Our past defines and shapes who we are, and what we believe. Our past does not control us. We can choose a path of letting go of the past, to live in the present.
So, what does this mean, it means that you are no longer going to let the past influence your today. We are choosing to not be controlled by what once was, but to accept and move forward.
The difficult is that the past is what we know, to let go and be present can be scary because we like to be in complete control. We can’t change the past, and we can’t control the future. We can only be in the present.
Tips to Letting Go:
- Acknowledge the past – you need to reflect on your past and acknowledge that the past has happened. This might mean accepting what has happened, forgiving others or even yourself. You may need to tell yourself that it is ok to move on.
- Write about your past – the story and the journey you have been on. This can bring clarity around how the past has shaped you.
- Focus on changing yourself – you will never be able to change others or make others apologize or accept their role in the past. Focus on your own journey, your role and where you are going next.
- Meditate – this will slow the thoughts about the past that might be haunting us. The more you practice, the easier it is to let the thoughts go.
- Set goals – what do you want moving forward? Set some goals for yourself, find an accountability partner to keep you on track.