This week’s theme for the #Last90Days is Persistence. This is defined as the ability to maintain action regardless of your feelings. You press on even when you feel like quitting. Cognitive Behavioural Coaching can help because some of the main tenets focus on understanding how one’s emotions impact our behaviours and define our reality.
When you work on any big goal, your motivation will realistically fluctuate. Sometimes you’ll feel motivated; sometimes you won’t. But it’s not your motivation that will produce results — it’s your action. Persistence allows you to keep taking action even when you don’t feel motivated to do so, and therefore you keep accumulating results. This creates a positive ripple effect.
Often clients at Healing Path Counselling Services struggle with this notion that the value of persistence comes not from stubbornly clinging to the past. It comes from a vision of the future that’s so compelling you would give almost anything to make it real. Persistence of action comes from persistence of vision. When you’re super-clear about what you want in such a way that your vision doesn’t change much, you’ll be more consistent — and persistent — in your actions. And that consistency of action will produce consistency of results.
How can one develop persistence? The following exercises for building persistence were adapted from a list provided by psychologist Jonathan Haidt at the University of Virginia:
- Finish a project ahead of time.
- Notice your thoughts about stopping a task, and make a conscious effort to dismiss them. Focus on the task at hand.
- Begin using a time management aid of some sort (a palm pilot, a daily planner, etc.). Find a system that works and actually use it.
- Set a goal and create a plan for sticking to it.
- When you wake up in the morning, make a list of things that you want to get done that day that could be put off until the next day. Make sure to get them done that day.
If this is something that you would like to work on, please contact me at Healing Path Counselling Services.
#persistence #goalsetting #vision #success #healingpath #cognitivebehaviouraltherapy #cbt #lifecoach #personaldevelopment